Once upon a time I was kid-sitting 2 of my cousins, Madison & Tate, while their parents went on a fabulous warm-climate cruise around the Hawaiian islands. In Utah, however, it was snow season, and you know what that means… fields of snow tempting me to release my inner Calvin & Hobbes. I’d been watching these 2 little
Conversation Number 1:
Tate: My dad’s gonna KILL me. (sob, sob)
Neighbor: You’re gonna be ok.
Tate: He told me never to stick my hand in the snow blower. (sob, sob) He’s gonna hate me:
Neighbor: He won’t hate you, he loves you, and he’ll be very glad you’re safe.
Tate: I knew I shouldn’t have done that.
Me: (crickets chirping) (I mean, seriously, what are you supposed to say except, “Yeah, duh!” but that didn’t seem appropriate at the time.)
Conversation Number 2:
Tate: I’m never gonna be able to play soccer again
Me: Tate, your feet and legs are fine, you’ll still be able to play soccer.
Tate: But I’m the goalie, I need to be able to catch the ball.
Me: Tate, your going to be able to catch a ball, you just barely got the very tips of your fingers chewed up a little bit…
Tate: (starts sobbing even more) My dad’s gonna be SO mad at me.
We pulled up to the emergency room doors and went in. Tate was still screaming so of course everyone in the waiting area turned to look at us. (I hate drawing attention like that but Tate was being such a drama queen… understandably, I guess)!
By the time we were in a room Tate had calmed down a bit and was mostly just in a lot of pain. I had to call Madison, Tate’s older sister, who was at work at Dick’s to get her to go to their house and get their insurance information and the letter that gave me permission to make medical decisions for them. This was a mistake, I admit. Madison does not deal with emergencies well and, while I’d been a little pre-occupied when we’d left the house, she did not miss noticing the blood that had splattered all over the snow at the time of “the incident”. Up to this point I had been able to fool her into thinking it was no big deal but the blood gave it all away and she started freaking out. She made it to the hospital and luckily I caught her in the hall before she saw Tate. We’d finally been able to calm him down and I knew if she came running in in a huff that he’d just get worked up again so I grabbed her firmly by her shoulders and told her she HAD TO CALM DOWN before I would let her in to see Tate, that he was all right, he was going to survive, and that she needed to act mature and be strong. Well, that lasted for all of 2 seconds but I think it helped a bit. Finally, Tate’s aunt showed up and I (happily) relinquished all guardianship duties to her.
Then I realized I was in a hospital.
Then I almost fainted.
At least I waited til an appropriate time to lose it!
So, I excused myself from the room, which now was getting very crowded, and found a seat and put my head between my knees. Some firemen, really, REALLY cute firemen, brought in another patient and a few of them took a look at Tate’s fingers and I tried to pretend to faint into one of their arms but they weren’t paying enough attention to me. So I just sat on my chair, and dreamed of their biceps!
Anyways, fast forward with me 4.5 years and now Tate’s an Eagle Scout with a groovy trick.
Can you do this?

And despite all the rougher years, I think he’s a pretty decent
As for his sister, Madison… she’s busy coping with the hassles of college and married life.
She can be a little clingy sometimes! (Jk! She’s gonna be SO mad at me when she sees that picture!)
And me, well, I don’t like hospitals. But I guess the good thing is I don’t think about that too much when I’m in responsibility mode. Tate’s mom said it was probably a good thing I was there when “the snow blower incident” happened because she would’ve panicked and been too freaked out to do anything. Lucky me, I guess?!
And now I have my own house, and I’m one of those poor people who doesn’t have a brat to shovel their snow. Le sigh! But I’m always very, VERY careful when I use my snow blower. Lesson learned!
PS. It is relatively easy to get blood out of your car seats when they’ve been pre-treated with stain-resistant spray! Which is lucky for Tate, or I would’ve had to bill him for a cleaning fee!
PPS. I don't think Tate even plays soccer anymore, he's more into football and wrestling, which you apparently CAN do with a stubby finger!

1 comment:
WO - that's some crazy action happening for a babysitter. That is pretty freaky. Good to see he's smiling and all better. Stubby's just give more character - right? that's funny though that the thing he was MOST worried about was his dad getting mad at him.
Post a Comment