
It really sums up how I feel the majority of the time. I know who I am, why I’m here, and that what I do can make a difference in the lives of others. But at the same time I know that the world would go on spinning without me (even though it would be a great loss if I weren’t here. Yes, I’m humble, too.)
But I’d like to share something with you that’s been very personal to me the last few years. It’s my personal decree, if you will. I wrote it up about 3 years ago when I was reading one of Sheri Dew’s books and she was talking about a lot of the qualities I want to strive to emulate in my life. So, I put this all together from different thoughts, quotes, and scriptures and I thought I might share it with you.
I am HUMBLE
“We should walk with the knowledge that we will need help
every step of the way” (Pres. Hinckley, Standing For Something, 89).
I am FIERCELY DEVOTED TO A RIGHTEOUS CAUSE
“These sisters know that God loves them, individually and distinctly. They make wise career choices even though they cannot now have the most choice career. Though in their second estate they do not have their first desire, they still overcome the world. These sisters who cannot now enrich the institution of their own marriage so often enrich other institutions in society. They do not withhold their blessings simply because some blessings are now withheld from them” (Elder Neal A. Maxwell, The Women of God, Ensign May 1978).
I have FAITH IN GOD
“I…believe that God will always make a way where there is no way” (Pres. Hinckley, If Ye Be Willing and Obedient, 2).
I am SOMEONE OTHERS CAN TRUST
“If my life is of no value to my friends it is of none to myself” (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 6:549).
I am WILLING TO WORK
The “opportunity of overcoming and so of gaining spiritual strength… is the only true advancement in man’s eternal course of progress” (Jesus the Christ, Ch. 18).
I am OPTIMISTIC
“We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; Cast down, but not destroyed” (2 Cor. 4:9).
I BELIEVE IN AND CARE ABOUT PEOPLE
Charity: The highest, noblest, strongest kind of love, not merely affection; the pure love of Christ.
I COMMUNICATE
I understand that you can’t build relationships if you don’t communicate. I can’t really come to love someone if there isn’t some kind of communication. I can’t solve problems if I don’t or won’t communicate. I can’t empathize or express love if I don’t or won’t communicate. I can’t inspire or motivate if I can’t communicate. In short, my influence is severely diminished if I can’t or won’t communicate.
I have VISION
I can imagine things that don’t yet exist.
I have the COURAGE TO STAND ALONE
If I am going to fulfill my foreordained assignments, I need to learn how to step forward, to help others do more and become more than they could ever do or become on their own, and then to lead out in whatever circumstances I find myself.
Those of you who know me best know that I'm not perfect at anything that I've stated above (not even close) but I like the reminder that it gives me to be better and try harder. And most of all I'm thankful for the wonderful examples you all provide to me. "You make me wanna be a better [woman]!" (Cheesy, I know!)

2 comments:
You are such a sweetheart. I am very blessed to count you as one of my dearest friends. :-) How lucky I am to know you!
Hi Brooke! This is Devin. Monica's husband. I guess I don't know you all that well 'cause I really think you do all those things perfectly. I need to write something up like this. Very good. Thanks. We miss you and I hope we can come by and see you soon!
Post a Comment