I’d like to share some conclusions I’ve come to about the best ways to avoid door dings. Take note, these are not 100% fool proof, but so far (knock on wood) I’ve made it out ding-free!
Let’s throw out some situations.
First, you must take into account WHERE it is you are going. Ie. Work, school, the mall, grocery store, etc.
Second, you must take into account the average number of PASSENGERS who would typically be in the car.
Second, part deux (or 2a, if you will), if the driver is likely to be the only one entering or exiting the vehicle to which you are considering parking next to, you must take into account which side is the DRIVER’S SIDE.
Third, you must take into account the TYPE OF VEHICLE you plan on parking next to.
Now, in order for the rest of this post to make sense, please carefully read the diagram below so that you’ll have a clue as to exactly what insane things my mind comes up with. (And if you DO understand exactly what I’m saying, well, this might be a good time to worry! But take comfort in the fact that you’re in the same boat as me… if you can!)
Ok, here we go.Brace yourself as I explain my paranoia!
Situation #1 – Location: school
Things to take into account: Most students are poor and therefore most likely to own a car as opposed to a truck or SUV.The big factor: how well loved does each car appear to be?
Situation #2 – Location: work
Things to take into account: Most of those parked cars are going to remain there all day so if you can find an ideal spot in the beginning there’s a good chance you’ll be safe all day.The big factor: avoid spaces by common “walkways”. (Basically, will people be walking past your car all day to get to the building? Bags and zippers can cause little scratches by careless passers-by.)
Situation #3 – Location: the mall (or other large shopping center)
Things to take into account: Most likely you won’t be parked next to the same cars when you come out of the building so don’t spend too much time picking a spot. It’s up to fate at this point.
The big factor: You’re doomed, just ride your bike!
So, I hope this helps.
And I must end here cuz I need to go move my car.
And I hope nobody stole it (but that’s another paranoia for another time)!

4 comments:
YOU ARE CRAZY... I can't believe we come from the same genes!
I'm just happy to find a parking spot without hitting anyone or anything. Hint: DO NOT park next to me.:) I love your craziness. My dad parks his truck sideways in two spots but he does get ticketed. Good luck Brooke. I hope you stay Ding free.
Oh my goodness, you are hilarious. We just got a ding this week cuz Evan pulled into a spot with a car on either side, but he thought that no one was in either car. As soon as we pulled in the gentleman to our right opened his driver's side door, and our front end crunched right into it. He didn't see us pull in (clearly), and we didn't see him in the car. Luckily, neither car was hurt more than a few dents, but it still sucked! I'll keep your tutorial in mind from now on!
Brook you make me laugh, but I will say this. You are definitely an engineer.
Post a Comment