Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dyslexia

So, I know the suspense from my last post must be killing you and I value your friendship too much to let that happen so.... Katie, you came close, I was playing volleyball. It was with my stake, and, as much as I love playing any kind of volleyball, the level of play was not so high as to warrant a "bump, set, spike" on every play. It did, however, turn out that there were a number of guys who could hit the ball decently but not many people who could set well. And that's where I gained the advantage. So, yes, I had multiple men (all married, unfortunately) wanting to stand next to me in rotation so that I could set to them.

If only this could be a metaphor for my life... and, of course, the men would have to be single. Still, a girl can dream. The whole situation just made me chuckle to myself, though, because how many times have I been in a social situation and, while watching a girl/boy interaction, muttered under my breath, "I wish I had boys fighting over my attention like that!"? It just goes to show, prayers are always answered, just not necessarily in the way we were hoping for!

On another note, I was in the grocery store the other day when I walked past a woman who had a toddler in her cart. They were standing in front of the pop corn while the woman was trying to decide what to get. Her toddler started being fussy when the woman said something like, "Just a minute, honey, I just need to get some pop corn." The toddler then tried to impress it's mother by repeatedly shouting "pop corn" only the child swapped the first letter of each word. The mother quickly tried to cover the toddler's mouth and said, "no, honey, that's something totally different" at which point I burst out into laughter, causing the mother to lose it, also. It was quite a sight, I'm sure.

Now every time I smell popcorn wafting through the office I think of that child... and I chuckle.

3 comments:

Jillums said...

I love the popcorn story. Thanks for making my morning!!

Katie said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! oh man, it's just so funny i don't know what to do. i love how she covered his mouth saying "oh no, that's something entirely different!!" lo-ove it. (and and btw - what do i win?)

Leah said...

Being a mother of a 2-year-old I completely understand--her reaction and yours!