I’ve already had 2 grapefruit this morning! Mmmm!
As soon as the snow hits the ground, my tummy starts rumbling for that citrusy goodness.
It stems from the fact that my grandparents were snowbirds in Arizona. We’d visit them as a family once or twice a winter and bring back boxes and boxes of oranges and grapefruit. Dad would take a bowl-full of oranges and peel them all night long for us to eat. We never got sick (which was good cuz we didn’t have any insurance… the plight of the self-employed).
My grandparents have passed on but the last few years my parents have gone down to Mesa for a few months each year. They stay in an old folks trailer park. No, their not THAT old (yet), they had to get special permission to stay there because they were “under age”. My sister and I fly down to stay with them and one of my return-trip carry-ons has always been a box of grapefruit/oranges.
This year, however, my parents didn’t go down and I’ve had such a hankerin' for citrus that last weekend I bought a case of each from J&L’s and oh how the weekend has been fabulous!
Which brings me to my next point… talent show time... the consumption of an orange!
Here is a whole, intact orange:

Ok, I probably didn’t have to say that but just go with it!
Here is another picture of the same orange, but wait… what’s that? Is that a fault line?
See it?
It doesn’t appear to be so intact anymore. Tricky me, that’s just the peel.
But it’s all in one piece, see:
I pride myself on my ability to peel an orange in one piece in under 2 mintues. (It may even be faster than 2 minutes but I didn't actually time myself so I'm just guessing.)
It really is all one piece, see!
But wait, what’s that in the background. An angel? On a tree?
I must’ve taken these pictures a LONG time ago, cuz who would still have Christmas decorations up in middle of January?! That would be silly!
And we won't even bring up the need for some self-tanner on that pasty hand. And I mean it... we WON'T bring it up! It's better camouflage for blending in with the snow!
And now to enjoy the fruits of my labor... literally!
They go fast, though.
Don't blink or you'll miss it!
Mmmmm! Oranges = happiness!

No comments:
Post a Comment