Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Junior High Spanish Refresher

Last week I went to Sonic and got a kids meal. They're forcing me to become edjumacated so I thought I'd force you to become edjumacated, too.

That's right... From Sonic, To Me, To You!

These are the flashcards I got...

Let's get started, shall we?
(If you said, "No," you can just go back to doing your Sudoku, or whatever!)

Numero Uno
(see, I did pick up a thing or dos in 8th grade spanish)
That one you don't need to learn. They know what you mean when you say "train" so, see... easy peasy!

Numero Dos
I would hope that you'd never have to use this sentence in spanish... unless you've become the hero in an Indiana Jones-type hollywood movie, in which case you probably definitely will need to know the word and how to climb one!

Numero Tres

Again, another unnecessary one, just roll the "rr" like "grrrrrr" with a silent "g".

Numero Quatro

I guess this word could come in handy if you're searching for the perfect flying carpet. Wait, that's more of a middle east thing than a spanish thing, right?

Numero Cinco

Yet another unnecessary one, just say baseball and do the international sign language for "ball" (cup your hands together like you're packing a snowball) then pretend to throw it.

Numero Seis

I doubt you'd ever use this, more likely someone would be running towards you (past you) yelling it, in which case... follow them.

Numero Siete

Again, unnecessary. I never even use this word in english, but it seems to translate pretty well.

Numero... I forgot where we are... maybe ocho?

Now wait a minute. Ninos? That means children. Why do we call them "Monkey Bars" in english and they call them "Children Bars" in spanish? What's the spanish word for monkeys? I think we should fix this, is it not an insult to children?

Numero Nueve

I hereby declare it unnecessary for you to learn this word. I'm not forcing you, of course, it's totally up to you. But if you're trying to conserve brain real estate, like I am, then don't bother filling it with this one.

Numero Diez

Definitely learn this one! Ooooh, yummy!
(Of course, the first food one we come across... we all know where my priorities lay!)

Numero Siete

"Center table?" Seriously? Why do we even call it a coffee table. Don't people usually sit at their dining table when they drink their coffee? I think we should call it the center table like the spanish! Who's with me?

Numero... agh, forget it, I've lost count
Once again, another one you don't need to learn.

That's what I'm here for, to tell you what not to waste your time on!

Numero....blah
Learn it, it could be important. When I was in Asia I had a gecko in my room and tried to tell the hotel staff. Luckily gecko translated across in Thai. Unluckily they told me the gecko was good luck and would eat all the bugs.
"What bugs?"
"But I don't have a 'bug' problem, I have a 'gecko' problem!"
I got over it. I didn't have a choice.

Numero... whateva'
Now, be careful with this one.
Soup = sopa
Soap = jabon
(I know, it doesn't make sense to me, either, but they're definitely not interchangeable!)

Numero... somethin' somethin'
Check. Easy. Now if only they'd teach us how to tell the taxi driver where to take us.

Numero... are we done yet? I'm getting a brain cramp.

Could definitely come in handy, and not just for the spanish-based hollywood super-hero!

Numero... (It's snowing outside, just a sidenote)
Once again, if you hear someone yelling this, run away, just run away!

Numero... oh, dear, are you even still reading?

Sounds similar. They might understand you enough if you say "cabinet." If someone who spoke spanish said "gabinete" to me I would definitely think "cabinet." Does it work in reverse?

Numero... Seriously, you don't have anything better to do?

Now when am I gonna use this?
Shouldn't they be teaching us more useful phrases?...

Like, "where can I buy bottled water"?

And, "Is this approved by the FDA?"

("What? You don't have a FDA?")

Numero... YAY, last one!
Now, these ones will probably come in the handiest.
(Handiest? Handyest? Is either one a word?)

Time for recess.
Race you to the swings!

1 comment:

Russ and Em said...

My favorite part about this is that these cards are for kids. What child doesn't want to learn center table and rope latter and cabinet in another language. Brooke, you really need to find out how you can get paid for your blog. It is too funny.