As stated previously, it was a year ago this month that I spent 30 days in Southeast Asia. It was so wonderful, I can’t even begin to explain. If you ever want to go and want a tour guide, I’m in! And now, looking back… 

In breaking tradition (does a
song make it tradition?) we stayed in Bangkok, Thailand for 3 nights. The Menam Riverside Hotel was fabulous and I had a great view of the west side (no gang signs) of Bangkok.
We took a long tail boat ride along the klongs (canals) of Bangkok. The main mode of transportation in the old part of Bangkok and through most of the housing developments is by boat as there are few, if any, streets.
The canals vary in width from 8 ft. to 30 ft. depending on whether it’s a major thoroughfare or not, and most of them are only about 4 feet deep. And you don’t even want to know the creepy things that live in the water!
I told you ya didn’t want to know! This “li’l” guy is about 4 feet long.From the boat we saw (and then later visited) both Wat Arun, or Temple of the Dawn, and the Royal Grand Palace.


Wat Arun (on the left) is decorated by millions of crushed ceramic pieces pressed into some kind of concrete type mixture. It’s so beautifully detailed up close!
The palace is a very large enclosure with multiple buildings. The Thai equivalent of the US Senate meets in one of the buildings. There are multiple Temples on the grounds and one of them holds the Reclining Buddha
It’s the only Buddah known that is not in a sitting or standing position. And yeah, it’s a loooonnnnggg building!
Well, that's it for part one. I hope you've enjoyed the pictures. Tomorrow will be part 2. You'll see my most favorite and least favorite parts of Bangkok!






3 comments:
i LOVE your blog!!!
please please please keep posting stuff.
i loved the entry about your plants and the one showing your sprinklers. how fun!! i can't wait to come see it - wait, when can i come see it?!?!?
p.s. i'm not growing anything. but i'm sure if you checked my kitchen you could find some mold that my roommates are growing.
gross.
I'll have you all over for a fabulous BBQ once the grass grows back and the sod gets filled in!
I've been to those places! I even took the tail boat along the canals! Yes, the water was nasty! Weren't those palaces amazing? Glad you had a good time!
Post a Comment